Thanksgiving is a special holiday for families all over the country, but did you know it can also be one of the most dangerous? The National Fire Protection Association says that there are four times as many kitchen fires on Thanksgiving Day than on a typical day. From 2012 to 2016, over 800 people lost their lives to drunk driving accidents during the Thanksgiving holiday, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This means that you and your family need to be aware of these holiday hazards.
Thanksgiving Holiday Hazards
If you are planning on staying safe for Thanksgiving this year, here are a few hazards you should watch out for:
- Turkey Fryers – These cooking appliances have a history of boiling over and causing massive fireballs that lead to injury and death. To ensure this does not happen, make sure you are following the safety guidelines set out by experts.
- Kitchen Nightmares – Cooking injuries also quadruple according to a doctor working for the Orange County Global Medical Center. That means you need to take extra care in the kitchen while preparing that Thanksgiving feast. Don’t leave food unattended in the kitchen, keep an eye on children, and remember, water makes grease fires worse. You should keep baking soda or a fire extinguisher on hand to handle any flareups.
- Drunk Driving – Because there are so many people travelling and celebrating during this holiday, drunk driving often goes up. Keep a sharp eye out for drunk drivers, and if you see one, don’t hesitate to report them by calling 9-1-1.
How an Attorney Can Help After a Thanksgiving Catastrophe
Even when you are aware of these holiday hazards, accidents can still happen. Recovering from these incidents can be tough, but an experienced attorney can help you when facing certain situations:
- Drunk Driving Accidents – If you or a member of your family were hurt by a drunk driver, you have many legal options to help you recover. These options can include suing the drunk driver, challenging an insurance company if they deny your claim or suing the company that employs the drunk driver if they were on the clock when the accident happened. Consulting with an attorney can help you fully explore these options and more.
- Burn Injuries – Since cooking fires are so common on Thanksgiving, so are burn injuries. But did you know that home insurance sometimes covers the treatment of these injuries? Submitting a claim may be a good option for anyone who is injured but be sure to have a lawyer when you file. Home insurance companies are notorious for denying these claims, and you could need legal help to help you get compensation.
- Malfunctioning Kitchen Appliances – Sometimes cooking accidents can be caused by defective appliances. Since we use typically unused appliances during the holidays, defects that we didn’t know about could cause a disaster. If your injury was caused by a kitchen appliance that didn’t work the way it was supposed to, contacting an attorney may help you hold the manufacturer responsible for the damages.
For more ways to protect your family over the holiday season, keep following the Moss & Hovden legal blog. We will keep you informed about how to protect your family using the letter of the law.